The Third Narrative Looking for an Intern in New York
Great Opportunity: Promote Progressive Solutions for Israelis and Palestinians
The Third Narrative (TTN) is looking for the right candidate to join the movement for a true progressive approach to Israel and Palestine and is offering an internship in its NYC office. Interning at TTN is a great opportunity to help counter the simplistic – black and white – disputes on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and to promote values of peace, justice, empathy and academic, cultural, intellectual freedom. Read on below for more information about TTN and this fantastic opportunity to make a difference.
The Third Narrative (TTN)
Launched in July 2013, TTN seeks to play an important role in the debate over peace in the Middle East by countering false and delegitimizing claims made against Israel by activists for Boycotts, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) and to develop key relationships with domestic progressive constituencies to gain their constructive support for a negotiated solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
Briefly, since its inception, The Third Narrative has:
• Launched an outreach and engagement initiative to scholars and academics that resulted in two academic affiliate groups, Alliance for Academic Freedom and Scholars for Israel and Palestine. These groups include over 150 leading progressive and liberal academics and scholars who are combatting academic boycotts on North American campuses. Thus, for the project described in this concept paper, we would be well-positioned to tap into the experience and expertise of scholars as well as students who are intimately familiar with the challenges posed by BDS activists.
• Initiated a public information and outreach campaign about TTN within a variety of progressive circles, reaching over 250,000 people online;
• Published The Third Narrative: Progressive Answers To The Far Left’s Critiques of Israel and distributed thousands of copies to campuses, synagogues, churches and other institutions;
• Developed a dedicated website (www.thirdnarrative.org) with wide-ranging online resources to assist activists in promoting an alternative approach to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict;
• Widely circulated TTN information and resources within the Jewish, American and international communities, reaching 22 countries, speaking at multiple conferences and events.
• Actively worked with other key organizations on this effort, including the Israel Action Network, Hillel, Jewish Federations and JCRCs.
In the upcoming months, TTN expects to:
• Launch local TTN organizing initiatives in several regions of the country;
• Engage national partners and local activists in developing new strategies to engage progressives on Israel and Palestine, particularly on campus;
• Develop new written and online materials to promote the TTN agenda; and
• Disseminate TTN materials and provide speakers for progressive audiences around the continent.
Internship Responsibilities will Include:
• Conducting research on TTN policy and advocacy issues.
• Engaging with potential local TTN activists to identify needs and volunteer capabilities.
• Assisting in facilitating TTN-affiliated academic groups.
• Promoting TTN materials through traditional and social media.
• Preparing materials for TTN funding requests.
• Administrative support for the TTN Initiative.
• Strong written and verbal communications and research skills.
• Experience with social media and online communication. Word Press and Open Moves a plus.
• A passion for efforts to address the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, progressive activism and the promotion of peace and social justice.
• Ability to multi-task.
• Strong interpersonal skills.
• Knowledge of Jewish community, progressive and campus organizations a plus
Must be able to commit to 10 or more hours per week. The internship will be at the TTN office, near Penn Station, with some flexibility for work from home.
Internships will normally be for the summer or for a semester. Candidates interested in extending their internship are welcome.
A small stipend will be provided. Additionally, assistance will be provided in applying for any available outside support from third party funders.
If you are interested in applying for the TTN intern position, please forward your resume and a brief cover letter by email to Gideon Aronoff at Gideon@ameinu.net.